Saturday, January 21, 2012

Generating inspiration

Some writers have trouble finding an idea for a story.
I have nine ideas for novels and I plan to write them all, so I’m safe for now. But even though that's the case, it is still fun to come up with new ideas and to exercise those creative muscles. So this is something handy (and fun) I've learned in one of my classes:

First I wrote down a question that interests me, like; what would drive someone to murder someone?
It can be a lighter question than this, but you get the idea.
Then I wrote down what I thought is funny like; when someone is distracted and walks into a wall.
This is because humour is important in any story, especially in stories that have a serious or dark theme.
Next I wrote down any special skills I have. I guess this is to give your character something extra and to write about something you know. I didn’t really think of anything that special except for touching my nose with my tongue. Who knows, it might become super important in a story. And yes, that was sarcasm.
Then I wrote down the first title of a novel that came to mind; Veiled in Darkness. It can seriously be anything you think of and it doesn’t have to be the title for the story you’ll work on. Like I said, it’s just to get the creative juices flowing.
Lastly you write down where the story will be set. I chose Chicago, US. 

I made up four names for characters and then for each of them I wrote down:
Something I (the writer) am or have been (can be anything)
Something I have felt recently
An exciting or interesting event
A boring event
An animal, plant or object that I like or find interesting

And there you go; by answering all of these things you already have an idea for a story. The only thing left to do is to put it together. The challenge is to use every element at some point, and you can decide how. It can be funny, weird or just extremely normal. It’s your story.
The thing about this exercise is that you also learn to write about what you know, which is always a good start with any story. You can even add other things for your characters, like; locations you know well, problems you’ve faced, worries you have, etc. The paper is your playground, have fun!


4 comments:

  1. If you are really need some inspiration then you could really be here. useful content for getting a perfect essay writings from our help on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. every types of inspiration will let you have your side in all the time. click to read more about the originality checker for your own paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiration is very important in every one’s life now a day’s .every one search for motivational speakers. This site gives us information about different inspirational things. Visit this http://www.freepunctuationchecker.com/improve-your-document-by-making-a-pronoun-check/ source to learn how to improve written documents. They are asking different question to understand the mentality of that human.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cycling and at whatever point I get extra time I go for the cycling with my companions. Get sentence checker from https://www.freesentencechecker.com/master-professional-writing-with-sentence-editor/ source. Cycling is significant for psyche and body both. Your article is stunning this kind of articles consistently help me to improve cycling

    ReplyDelete