Monday, March 11, 2013

Creative Writing for Kids


While I’m nearly reaching the end of my first novel (I’m really super close this time!) I was invited by my old primary school to volunteer at a talent workshop where they needed a writer. Luckily they immediately thought of me. (I have connections.)  And so I get to boss around a bunch of kids while I teach them about writing stories. Two of my favourite things! Not being bossy and writing, but teaching and writing. *cough*

Since their age-range will be somewhere between nine and thirteen I can’t throw all my balls of wisdom at their small and growing heads, I have to keep it simple, which coincidentally is one of my mottos: when in doubt, KIS. Though some people might take it the wrong way if you say it out loud. Anyway, I’ll start with introductions and ask them what kind of stories they like, sincerely hoping that they won’t mention stories that have been turned into films and/or computer games and that they are actually as addicted to real-life books as I am. I mean, when I was their age I’d always go to the library during the summer holiday and get a stack of books (no exaggeration, there must have been like 13 and mostly R.L Stine’s Fear Street stories) and I’d finish them within about two weeks. I’d smell them and touch them a great deal before diving into their worlds and splash around. If they don’t feel this passionate about books coming in, they will after I’m done with them.

Other than the essential information I’ll give them, such as that all books have a beginning, middle and end, have a theme, a conflict and resolution, etc. I’ll also let them do writing exercises. It’s more fun than actually sitting there and watch them write, right? So my plan is to put different nouns of animate objects in one pile, put different locations in another and then put inanimate objects in yet another, letting them pick from each pile and coming up with a plot involving those three things which they can then work on at the end of the class and at home. I’ll also let them do a few brainstorming sessions where they can come up with their own characters, locations and objectives. I’m very curious to see what their enthusiastic muses will come up with. Let’s hope it will involve some dragons and pirates with flying ships. I’ll keep you posted on my wild adventure with these creative kids. I might be teaching future famous writers! 


5 comments:

  1. Instructing of online is extremely well known in present time and why not find out more it is creating step by step. I am going to online classes on web of English paper. To think about better comprehension on web based instructing we should peruse this blog all through the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the most part the sites of composing offer strain to enhance and improve your composition style and propensities. That is the reason one needs to deal with it before beginning any follow the link or some other article. Indeed, even it is useful for his own book when he will form the book later on. In composing punctuation assumes a vital job with help of vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such online journals are so much useful that can be perused any sort of source and which ought to be spread by any reason. This blog is very fascinating from these sites http://www.essayparaphrasing.com/choose-paraphrasing-services-for-any-task-you-have/ which is in expressive way in the logical strategy. Such posts ought to be advanced on the web based life on web for the perusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creative writing is a very interesting topic for kids that is necessary for them and it proves a helping hand for him in future very important for kids and it will become very helpful for kids to teach writing and it must be fruitful for kids in their future. Here is useful link for writing service. I will be very thankful to you to prepare such kinds of blogs

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a nice thing to have a discussion about the writing of kids. They are always creative. If you want to know the ability and the skills of your kids then you should allow him to write and play at the same time. Visit a useful site for writing service online. It will be helpful for his life and career.

    ReplyDelete